Skip to main content

MIF21Inspired Poetry and Pieces

 


Precious Life (inspired by Maisha Kungu and the event Looking Forward To Tomorrow)

 Precious life, invaluable essence,

We come from a land of queens and peasants,

We’ll share our knowledge of our melanin roots,

Infused with passion, violence and truth,

You can look away if you dare,

Our shackles of gold are ones we proudly bare,

In order to take back our stories,

Stolen before birth,

Of our rights to decide, to put ourselves first,

It’s more than skin deep,

The scars that are left,

In the wake of hatred and words left unsaid,

This back though straight, has carried the weight of power, purpose and dignity,

Yet you still feel you have the right to question me,

My body carries the creative, I transcend the planes to dance my tale,

Be Bewitched as I cast my spell,

Breathe with me, heal with me, walk with me,

I have much to see, to ask, and stories to tell,

Some of which I shall keep for myself.

 -------------------

The Blackness Is Not Bleak creative writing session

 -------------------

Black Joy

Black joy comes from dancing alone in my kitchen,

Herbs and heat arising,

As the volume ascends,

Earth, Wind and Fire, give me freedom,

To move,

To celebrate these little moments,

I share my joy,

Unhinged by tears of anger,

As I look away from the pain and the mistreatment,

My father’s voice echoing in my head “It’s not your job to carry the weight of the world’s problems on my shoulders,

My mother’s voice follows “It’s your job to do all things with love, take your time and do things well, remember to breathe.”

My laughter is colourful, happiness simple, nature, nurture,

Ponds of water,

Weaving in between the cityscapes,

And hiding in the alcoves of movement ,

My joy is silent as I listen to your victories,

Your hopes, your dreams,

I’ll cry for you when you can’t,

When you wish you could,

My joy is my right to share,

To invite others to look through the kaleidoscope of wonder

 

 

------------------------

Adventure

·         Looks: Skipping in the rain to somewhere unknown

·         Sounds: Birds, cars and bicycle bells. Shouting, singing, heartbeat of a city

·         Smells: Cut grass and blooming railroad vine flowers

·         Taste: Mouthwash and a dry throat.

 

Festival Square

·         Looks: Like families of every creed, shape and colour, couples on a date, Insta perfect, despite the rain clouds that occasionally hover

·         Sounds: Meditation bells, cellos echoing across the field telling us to shake it off, Groove ends the night as Luther tells us it’s never too much

·         Smells: Craft beer with burgers and chips

·         Tastes: Like a mint mocktail and spicy tofu burger

 

  -------------------


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Sea Change Experience (MIF 2021)

  The Beginning of Something New I heard about Sea Change through Reform Radio and afterwards I spent five minutes having an internal battle with myself, pros and cons, overthinking.  I’m a shy person who doesn’t like the spotlight (something that doesn’t fit with my aspirations to become a singer), but I love dancing, I’m not in the best shape and have zero experience…will it be COVID safe (yes). The argument that won me over was simply: a chance like this may never come again; I have nothing to lose and so much to gain. It was my chance to be a part of my city, to represent it and to do so with other people who call Manchester home. Sea Change would be launching Manchester International Festival 21 plus it was on my 30 th  birthday. I was slightly anxious because, like everyone else, I hadn’t gathered with a crowd for more than a year and a half and my brain had been reprogrammed to stay away from them during that time. I wasn’t sure how I’d be but all of those fears we...

Poem: Only A Number

 Only a number, Fixed intent, Work hard and pay your taxes, The city is paved with your tears, Starving to feed the extra mouths, Rent paid for an empty fridge, Children with lightning gold smiles, Who possess a resilience harder than diamonds, When all is lost, Gather in numbers, As the small kindnesses accumulate, The silver lining is sharper than the knife edge, And if they didn't have the children the adults would be lost, Drowning in a tidal wave of despair, Neck ache from sticking it out and holding it high, Society has given you a number, Remember that you were born with a name. Remember that you are loved, Remember that you are capable of loving, Despite your rage, Despite your fear, You will always and forever be more than... Grief, Pain, Low Expectations, Heartbreak, The sum of all your memories and all your losses, You will always be more than just a number. ------------ A total of 6,848 people living in the city are currently without a home, according to Shelter. The ch...

Poem: The Quiet Room

  The Quiet Room Intrinsically obligated to serve, Do you think the  artist just saw a plate of cheese on the table and was like....I can do that? Head bowed in servitude but only in a prostrate submissive form. It's not that I can see it, it's that you can't  unsee it. Looking at it long enough the angles are not only angular but long enough. I should go, away from this quiet place but it's comforting here. Here, these walls hold the part of me that was so scared, the part of me that put my best foot forward in the frozen snow. What a long path of misstroden woes and forgotten beguilements.