Skip to main content

Book Review: The Naked Wedding and other short stories πŸ“šπŸ’–


Book Review: The Naked Wedding  and other short stories (10/10🌟)

I love short stories, especially ones about various types of relationships and so this collections ticked a lot of boxes for me. The seven short stories cover some of the various complexities that can happen in a relationship between a father and son, husbands and wives, business colleagues, exes, friends and technology. Set in Shenzhen, China, each story seems to have a timeless quality to it while at the same time feeling quite modern, as you join each character as they go through their journeys.

Each story seemed to spark a different emotion in me.

"The 27 Club" documents the end of a relationship and so I found the narrator quite relatable. "Kobe Bryant and The Freedom Swimmer" explores the fantasy and lengths that one goes to as a parent and is a story that warmed my heart. Both "Shuang" and the title story almost made me cry (for different reasons), "Li Lei's Big Escape" made me cheer for the main character, "Rhinos" managed to make the sometimes boring topic of competitive characters in a workforce environment both engaging and entertaining, and as a lover of all things whimsical my favourite story is the final one in the collection and it's titled "The Disposable."

Drifting through themes of love, passion, grief and loss the collection is both beautiful and lightweight despite occasionally touching on some heavy topics including suicide and abuse. The collection engages your attention without enabling it to wander off, and considering Lockdown's made a lot of people unable to concentrate on reading for a long time I'd highly recommend this book to anyone whose looking for something to remind them why they loved reading in the first place.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Sea Change Experience (MIF 2021)

  The Beginning of Something New I heard about Sea Change through Reform Radio and afterwards I spent five minutes having an internal battle with myself, pros and cons, overthinking.  I’m a shy person who doesn’t like the spotlight (something that doesn’t fit with my aspirations to become a singer), but I love dancing, I’m not in the best shape and have zero experience…will it be COVID safe (yes). The argument that won me over was simply: a chance like this may never come again; I have nothing to lose and so much to gain. It was my chance to be a part of my city, to represent it and to do so with other people who call Manchester home. Sea Change would be launching Manchester International Festival 21 plus it was on my 30 th  birthday. I was slightly anxious because, like everyone else, I hadn’t gathered with a crowd for more than a year and a half and my brain had been reprogrammed to stay away from them during that time. I wasn’t sure how I’d be but all of those fears we...

Poem: Only A Number

 Only a number, Fixed intent, Work hard and pay your taxes, The city is paved with your tears, Starving to feed the extra mouths, Rent paid for an empty fridge, Children with lightning gold smiles, Who possess a resilience harder than diamonds, When all is lost, Gather in numbers, As the small kindnesses accumulate, The silver lining is sharper than the knife edge, And if they didn't have the children the adults would be lost, Drowning in a tidal wave of despair, Neck ache from sticking it out and holding it high, Society has given you a number, Remember that you were born with a name. Remember that you are loved, Remember that you are capable of loving, Despite your rage, Despite your fear, You will always and forever be more than... Grief, Pain, Low Expectations, Heartbreak, The sum of all your memories and all your losses, You will always be more than just a number. ------------ A total of 6,848 people living in the city are currently without a home, according to Shelter. The ch...

Book Review: Someone Is Missing Me by Tina Tamsho-Thomas 10/10🌟

This poetry collection made me laugh, cry and think about what it means to me to have and use my voice which is why I loved it so much. Words are the most powerful tools and weapons when it comes to battling emotions and finding answers to the questions we pose to ourselves. I feel as if each poem is a snapshot of a different moment of realisation for Tina and through them she shares her knowledge. From imperialism, slavery, feminism to loss; each poem deals with a different relationship between herself (and essentially ourselves) and the world around her. I bought this collection on a whim after being fortunate enough to meet Tina at The Northern Publishing Book Fair last month. Tina is an intelligent and warm soul and meeting her made it easy to see how that is all poured into her work and this collection. My favourite poems are: ‘Emerging’, ‘Precious’, ‘Love, Bang, Thang’, ‘Fantasy’, ‘Ideal Man’, and ‘Playing For Life’. One of the main reasons I love poetry is because every ...