Skip to main content

MIF21: Looking Forward To Tomorrow (part 2 of 5)

It was my first time inside Manchester Central Convention Complex’s Exchange  Auditorium ( please bear with me, there’ll be a million firsts for me documented in this blog) and it was so cool. The audience were in groups according to what event we’d chosen to attend. And after our Welcome by co-designing group members Carmen Ffye Paulo and Heidi Taylor-Wood, Vincent Dugdale came onstage and presented five NHS Key workers (and in my opinion unsung heroes)  on stage to share some of their experiences about issues that have affected them including the pandemic, disability, healthcare and the inequality of class, gender and race as well as how they are using their positions to create a positive change for the present and for the  future.

There was:  Qualified teacher Diane Rutherford who is also brap’s Learning and Development Lead. Some of her work includes engaging with schools and universities to break down social barriers and stigmas around learning disabilities and mental health as well as how a student can be impacted in various ways by teachers and by learning.

Dr Devapriya Dev, a Consultant General & Respiratory Physician at Royal Bolton Hospital and one of the doctors on the frontline throughout the pandemic. Having been a doctor for more than 20 years he’s also an important leader in the Indian community in this city and as the Chair of Nrityakunj (a South Asian cultural organisation in Manchester) and Global Governor (UK) for the American College of Chest Physicians he has been continually working towards inclusion and diversity within the NHS.

Naomi Yeboah, a community learning disability nurse, actor, writer and producer.

Joy Warmington, the CEO of brap, where she is engaged in the development of many of brap’s training and development programmes. As a member of the NHS Leadership Faculty, one of her many roles includes using her background in anti-discriminatory practice and application to create inclusive leadership programmes, and as a lifelong qualified teacher she knows how to design and deliver programs that are innovative, effective and fun.

And finally, Polish-born, Manchester raised Zuzanna Kouamba who is a final-year student midwife.

For full bios of these incredible human beings please visit the link https://mif.co.uk/lftt-speakers/

Before leaving the stage each of them shared their hopes and dreams that had them looking forward to tomorrow.

Listening to them all I was reminded yet again how being a minority or being different means that you will be in a lifelong battle that you never wanted or chose to fight. It’s one of the reasons why no matter how many times I’d like to, or try to, every conversation that I have is carrying the weight of the lack of equality we have present in this moment in time. Yes, we’ve come a long way but we still have a million miles to go.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Sea Change Experience (MIF 2021)

  The Beginning of Something New I heard about Sea Change through Reform Radio and afterwards I spent five minutes having an internal battle with myself, pros and cons, overthinking.  I’m a shy person who doesn’t like the spotlight (something that doesn’t fit with my aspirations to become a singer), but I love dancing, I’m not in the best shape and have zero experience…will it be COVID safe (yes). The argument that won me over was simply: a chance like this may never come again; I have nothing to lose and so much to gain. It was my chance to be a part of my city, to represent it and to do so with other people who call Manchester home. Sea Change would be launching Manchester International Festival 21 plus it was on my 30 th  birthday. I was slightly anxious because, like everyone else, I hadn’t gathered with a crowd for more than a year and a half and my brain had been reprogrammed to stay away from them during that time. I wasn’t sure how I’d be but all of those fears we...

Poem: Only A Number

 Only a number, Fixed intent, Work hard and pay your taxes, The city is paved with your tears, Starving to feed the extra mouths, Rent paid for an empty fridge, Children with lightning gold smiles, Who possess a resilience harder than diamonds, When all is lost, Gather in numbers, As the small kindnesses accumulate, The silver lining is sharper than the knife edge, And if they didn't have the children the adults would be lost, Drowning in a tidal wave of despair, Neck ache from sticking it out and holding it high, Society has given you a number, Remember that you were born with a name. Remember that you are loved, Remember that you are capable of loving, Despite your rage, Despite your fear, You will always and forever be more than... Grief, Pain, Low Expectations, Heartbreak, The sum of all your memories and all your losses, You will always be more than just a number. ------------ A total of 6,848 people living in the city are currently without a home, according to Shelter. The ch...

Book Review: Someone Is Missing Me by Tina Tamsho-Thomas 10/10🌟

This poetry collection made me laugh, cry and think about what it means to me to have and use my voice which is why I loved it so much. Words are the most powerful tools and weapons when it comes to battling emotions and finding answers to the questions we pose to ourselves. I feel as if each poem is a snapshot of a different moment of realisation for Tina and through them she shares her knowledge. From imperialism, slavery, feminism to loss; each poem deals with a different relationship between herself (and essentially ourselves) and the world around her. I bought this collection on a whim after being fortunate enough to meet Tina at The Northern Publishing Book Fair last month. Tina is an intelligent and warm soul and meeting her made it easy to see how that is all poured into her work and this collection. My favourite poems are: ‘Emerging’, ‘Precious’, ‘Love, Bang, Thang’, ‘Fantasy’, ‘Ideal Man’, and ‘Playing For Life’. One of the main reasons I love poetry is because every ...